Monday, July 11, 2011

What would be so bad about a Mormon president?

With 2 LDS possible presidential candidates, I have seen quite a few media stories about having a person of the mormon faith as President of the United States.  I'm shocked at how many people say they would never vote for a Mormon solely based on their religion.  Seriously?  I have to wonder what on earth people think would happen?
LDS politicians have served in many offices including mayor, governor, house of representatives, and senate.  Currently, Harry Reid is the senate majority leader.
Have any of these LDS politicians done anything to justify such a fear of a Mormon president?  Do the American voters worry that a Mormon president will make everyone convert to our faith, even though we believe that men should "worship how, where, and what they may"?  (See post on Articles of Faith, Article of Faith #11).  Do the American voters worry that a Mormon president would be a puppet for the leaders of the Church, even though we believe in being subject to "presidents...in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law"? (Article of Faith #12).  Do they worry that a Mormon president will be corrupt even though we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men"?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has an official statement about political neutrality you can read here.
I guess I find this so shocking because in the 12 years that I've been able to vote, I never once have thought about a candidate's religion.  I look at their policies, their records, and I do take their character into my decision, but I couldn't tell you what religion any of the men I voted to be President of the United States are.
I'm not saying that either Mitt Romney or John Huntsman Jr is the best man to elect as president, that's for the American people to decide for themselves, but I think it's incredibly sad that a Mormon candidate could be the best person for the job and they won't even have the opportunity because people are afraid of a religion that they don't really even know about.
In 2011, every boy or girl in the United States (despite race or religion) should be allowed to dream about becoming the President of the United States and know that if they work hard, their dream can be a reality.  I don't feel it is right for me to have to tell my 7 year old daughter or 5 year old son that they have no chance of ever becoming President because of their beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any questions and all comments that are respectful.